iwl3945 & master mode

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Sun Nov 25 19:48:09 UTC 2007

Fulko Hew wrote:
> While not exactly a Rawhide question, I'm hard pressed to find
> out the real state of 'monitor mode' for the Intel iwl3954.
>
> The sourceforge page is (IMHO) terrible to find out anything
> useful, but I see that:
> a) one person has asked for 'master mode' to be added to the driver and
> b) another mailing list posting from Feb 2007, saying it should be
>    in the driver.
>
> Which is it?
>
> The page on Linux Wireless at:
>    http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers
> says the feature doesn't exist.
>
> Who's right?
>
> ... and Intel's page doesn't really say anything at all about
> features, road map, etc.
>
> My motivation is/was...
> After attending a company meeting with 20 people in the room and
> only one network connection I thought it should be simple to config
> my F8 box to act as a bridge between the wireless and the wired
> network, but I understand I have to flip the iwl3945 driver into
> 'master mode' first.

Which means "configure as an access point."

Quite correct, and I have done just that - but not with Intel wireless.

An alternative is to buy a wireless router/access point - maybe
expensive for infrequent use (but that depends on the depth of your
pocket, some are pretty cheap) but better if you're doing it often.

I have a linksys wrt54g which generally works well. Runs Linux, if you
don't like its firmware, there are alternatives.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait