GRUB after hibernate

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Tue Oct 2 21:02:26 UTC 2007

Hi,

I'm thinking of installing F8t1 on my laptop. Can anyone tell me if
there's been any movement on running GRUB after Fedora is hibernated.
IIRC this isn't shown because the user could choose a different kernel
losing any unsaved data from the hibernated session.

However, this seems to be burdening the user with cumbersome
functionality whereas what it really needs is a technical solution.

I (sadly) need a Windows partition on my laptop which takes 20s to wake
from hibernate. With a Fedora partion, I naturally want to be able to
hibernate this. But if I do this and want to get at Windows, I have to
boot Linux (I get no option, suddenly it's not my laptop) shut it down
and then load Windows. If I'm quick I can do this in 80s. So if I want
to use hibernate with Fedora I'm facing a 300% increase in the time it
takes to get at my other partion.

Dual-boot users must make up a sizable number of Fedora laptop users all
of whom would benefit from a better strategy. In fact I would categorise
laptop users as:

1. One Fedora partition only
2. One Fedora partition + Windows partition (or MacOS X partition?)
3. One Fedora partition + other partitions

The first two are surely most common or at least the kind of users we'd
like to have. The first set of users don't need a fix, the second set do
and the third set are experts who could be pretty much be left to select
the correct O/S + kernel to start.

At its simplest GRUB or init could check if there's a hibernate image in
the booting partition and if the user is trying to boot normally (i.e.
not resume) then a warning could be displayed and the user prompted to
continue the boot or cancel.

Hope this makes sense, sorry if it's being covered elsewhere,

Leon...