GRUB after hibernate

Doncho N. Gunchev gunchev at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:21:12 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 2007-10-03 01:01:44 Leon Stringer wrote:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 22:02 +0100, Leon Stringer wrote:
> >> I'm thinking of installing F8t1 on my laptop. Can anyone tell me if
> >> there's been any movement on running GRUB after Fedora is hibernated.
> >> IIRC this isn't shown because the user could choose a different kernel
> >> losing any unsaved data from the hibernated session.
> >
> > Actually, the _bigger_ concern is that someone does exactly like you
> > wants to and boots into another OS.  And from that OS, they modify
> > filesystems (maybe you have your ntfs filesystems mounted under Linux or
> > you access the ext3 partitions from Windows) which then leads to
> > significant filesystem corruption when you resume from hibernate.
> >
> >> However, this seems to be burdening the user with cumbersome
> >> functionality whereas what it really needs is a technical solution.
> >
> > This is the technical solution.  There's not really any other way to do it.
> >
> > Jeremy
> >

> OK, but there's a thin line between protecting the user from themselves
> and making it unusable.

There is, and you can get to grub at your own risk - hold down ctrl/shift
or whatever it was when turning the laptop on. Be sure not to use any
partition in both OS-es!!! Another way is to press Up/Down key just when
turning the machine on... experiment, I don't have windows and found this
just because I was curious enough ;-)

> Sure I can mount other partion's FSes and mess with the data but users
> who do this can be considered expert users who (should!) understand the
> risks.

Happy hacking and luck!

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev, GPG key ID: 0EF40B9E, Key server: pgp.mit.edu