No sound with Intel ICH8 (Realtek 268 chip)

antonio montagnani antonio.montagnani at gmail.com
Sat Oct 6 05:26:00 UTC 2007

2007/10/5, Justin Conover <justin.conover at gmail.com>:

> On 10/5/07, antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I still have the same problem as in F7. I don't have any sound at all.
> >
> > My laptop is an Acer Aspire 5720, my modprobe.con (only sound related) is:
> >
> > options snd cards_limit=8
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel model=acer
> > options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=acer
> > alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
> > options snd-usb-audio index=7
> >
> > any idea???
> >
> > --
> > Antonio Montagnani
> > Skype : antoniomontag
> >
> > --
>

> Try this if you want to:
>
> http://justinconover.com/blog/2007/08/16/1420-dell-inspiron-and-fedora-7/
>
> # yum groupinstall "Development Tools"
> # yum install mercurial
> # cd /usr/src
>
> # mkdir alsa && cd alsa
> # hg clone http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-driver
> alsa-driver
> # cd alsa-driver
> # hg clone
> http://hg-mirror.alsa-project.org/alsa-kernel alsa-kernel
> # ./hgcompile && make install
> # echo options snd-hda-intel model=3stack > /etc/modprobe.d/sound
> # reboot (to make sure it sticks, or if the test before didn't work)
>

> --

I have already tried something similar, but it didn't work.
My opinion is that it shpuld work out of the box (more or less) or by
adding some rpm, not installing magics and so on, otherwise the
standard user will prefer a sound-working Windows system (Skype is
important, more than music in my case..)
--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag