No sound with Intel ICH8 (Realtek 268 chip)

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Sun Oct 7 20:51:43 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 07:12:28PM +0100, Christopher Brown wrote:
> On 06/10/2007, Andrew Parker <andrewparker at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>
>     On 10/6/07, antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani at gmail.com> wrote:
>     > Please install the package with full kernel sources for your distribution
>     > or use --with-kernel=dir option to specify another directory with kernel
>     > sources (default is /lib/modules/2.6.23-0.217.rc9.git1.fc8/source)
>     >
>     > Where do I get the source in F8T3???
>
>     yum install kernel-devel.
>

> Andrew  thats not quite right. kernel-devel are only the development libraries
> for the kernel, not the sources.

That is indeed the case; but in general if you want to recompile
external modules for a given kernel you really need the
corresponding kernel-devel package and not kernel sources.
With "raw" sources you may just get yourself extra headaches.

A long time ago all of that was packaged in a different way.

   Michal