F8 t3 DNS setup problem

David Boles dgboles at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 14:00:34 UTC 2007

on 10/8/2007 7:43 AM, Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Sun, 7 Oct 2007, David Boles wrote:
>
>> To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
>>     <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
>> From: David Boles <dgboles at gmail.com>
>> Subject: Re: F8 t3 DNS setup problem
>>
> *snip*
>> After you set your static numbers did you turn off (disable) Network
>> Manager before you rebooted? And why did you reboot anyway?
>
> I like to reboot to know that everything is going to come up
> fine after a reboot. I have Been caught out with that
> before. Settings that only work for the initial session,
> that do not work after the machine is rebooted.
>
> Originally NetworkManager was not running. I started KDE and
> I could not connect to the internet. The NetworkManager
> displayed a red cross on the ethernet icon and right
> clicking on it told me that NetworkManager was not running.
> So I assumed I had to run NetworkManager to get my eth0 card
> working.
>
> Do I need NetworkManager installed and running to connect to
> the internet?

Rebooting does not necessarly mean that any changes you might have made to
anything will 'stick'. Only that you have rebooted.

As for the network?  As root at the command line type:

service network restart <enter key>

This will stop and restart the network without a reboot.

NetworkManger and it functions explained here much better than I could.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/NetworkManager
--

  David