F8 t3 DNS setup problem

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Tue Oct 9 19:51:36 UTC 2007

I have just done a completely fresh network installation of
F8t3 to my laptop. I did not enable NetworkManager at
boot time for this install.

I have checked/etc/sysconfig/network and the
network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Everything seems to be working correctly now. So I guess it
was me goofing up the installation. I can ping from the
command-line to a known host using DNS.

yum works as well.

When I run X & KDE the NetworkManager icon has a red cross
on it - but I use static IP, and eth0 is still up and
running. This is what made me think I needed to enable
NetworkManager. So I just closed NetworkManager and told it
not to start again.

The only thing that looks odd is the contents of my
/etc/hosts file, which is:

127.0.0.1    fedora-laptoplocalhost.localdomain localhost
::1          localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6

should that first line not be

127.0.0.1    fedora-laptop  localhost.localdomain  localhost

my hostname is fedora-laptop

Kind Regards

Keith Roberts

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net