icedtea for tomcat5?

Klaasjan Brand klaasjan at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 19:03:41 UTC 2007

On 10/10/07, Neal Becker <ndbecker2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the hint.  I found this error, mean anything to anyone?  Should
> I report this as a
> icedtea bug?
>
> An error occurred at line: 1 in the jsp file: /WEB-INF/jsp/login.jsp
> The type java.io.Writer cannot be resolved. It is indirectly referenced
> from required .class files

The JSP parser works by converting jsp files to java classes and compiling
them to bytecode so they can run on the JVM. Your error seems to indicate
the Java compiler (as invoked by Tomcat; I believe it uses the ecj compiler)
cannot find the java.io.Writer class which should be part of any java
runtime.

If your problem does only affect Icedtea by all means file a bug against it.
If it's broken on any JVM, file a bug against the tomcat package ;)