F8T3 Login very slow

Mike Chambers mike at miketc.com
Thu Oct 11 12:15:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 09:13 +0200, antonio montagnani wrote:

> I clocked the timing: it took about 20 seconds from password to login,
> but it took more than two minutes to have a working login (I mean, all
> icons, menus, and so on).
> Much shorter if Ethernet network is connected.
>
> This is the list of services at boot time:
>
> ConsoleKit
> anacron
> atd
> auditd
> autofs
> avahi-daemon
> bluetooth
> cpuspeed
> crond
> cups
> firstboot
> haldaemon
> ip6tables
> iptables
> irqbalance
> isdn
> kudzu
> mdmonitor
> messagebus
> microcode_ctl
> nasd (what is it for??)
> netfs
> network
> nfslock
> pcscd
> readhead_early
> readhead_later
> restorecond
> rpcbind
> rpcgssd
> rpcidmapd
> ryslog
> setroubleshoot
> smb
> sshd
> xinetd
>
> Apart from sendmail, that I don't need, I didn't change any setting
> from installation.

As you mentioned in your 2nd email after this,make sure your hosts file
and /etc/resolv.conf file are correct and have proper entries.  Also,
you might go through and remove some of those services that you don't
need.

I also noticed that after an initial install (heck, the install itself
took 1.5 or so hours and this on a decent desktop), that it took a long
time for desktop to be set, as well as apps being slow to start.  I have
to get rid some of services first thing to get the desktop in a decent
usable state.

--
Mike Chambers
Madisonville, KY