"yum update" dependency error

Michael Schwendt mschwendt.tmp0701.nospam at arcor.de
Thu Oct 11 14:36:19 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007 10:12:27 -0400 (EDT), Robert P. J. Day wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Caerie Houchins wrote:
>
> > On 10/11/07, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> > >

> > >   the very latest "yum update" attempt:
> > >
> > > --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> > > Error: Unresolvable requirement redhat-artwork = 7.0.0-14.fc8 for
> > > redhat-artwork-kde
> > > Error: Unresolvable requirement fedorainfinity-gdm-theme for gdm
>
> > This is what you can exclude to fix the gdm-theme requirement.
> >
> > yum update --exclude=fedora-gnome-theme
> >
> > I don't use kde and am not seeing the other error.
>
> i know how to get around dependency errors, i just post things like
> that to let the powers-that-be know of an update dependency error in
> case they weren't aware of it, that's all.
>
> or is that sort of thing not worth doing?  most of the time, the cause
> is just mirrors that aren't up to speed.

It depends. I find such reports useful, since ordinary yum updates
can find things the broken deps checkers cannot discover.

The latest rawhide report clearly reports redhat-artwork as a removed
pkg and lists a few broken deps, but no those quoted above. So, if the
problem persists, it needs investigation.