Master configuration file for services?

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Fri Oct 12 11:08:49 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Michal Jaegermann wrote:

> To: For testers of Fedora Core development releases
>     <fedora-test-list at redhat.com>
> From: Michal Jaegermann <michal at harddata.com>
> Subject: Re: Master configuration file for services?
>
> On Thu, Oct 11, 2007 at 04:20:30PM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
>> Would it be possible to have one master configuration file
>> that is read on boot time to determine which system services
>> are run please?
>
> You mean that you want something like system-config-services?
> Did you try that one?
>
>> I'm having to spend ages on disabling services with
>> chkconfig <sname> off.
>
> If you are doing that from a command line then check something
> of that sort
>
> echo "service1
> service2
> service3" | xargs -n1 -i chkconfig {} off
>
> or you may feed xargs redirecting stdin from a file with names
> one per line.
>
> The later you can modify using a file with lines like
> "serviceA on" and "serviceB off" and use that with
> "xargs -n2 -i chkconfig {}" to have your master configuration.
>
>   Michal

Thankyou for that Michal. I will take a look at xargs.

What's the service setup tool that runs with firstboot? Can
I not use that at will from the CLI?

Regards

Keith

http://www.karsites.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

This email address is challenge-response protected with
http://www.tmda.net