my two (and a half) F8T3 blocking issues

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 13:39:47 UTC 2007

I still have two (and a half) F8T3 issues that I consider blocking for me,
that I haven't really seen any else comment on or complaints about.

BTW. My hardware is a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop with
     Intel 3945 wireless and Intel video.

1/ I can no longer run the display in its native 1680x1050 mode.
   In T1, it just worked (without needing the 915resolution kludge)
   In T3, when I run system-config-display...
     a) if I select Video card->i810, it doesn't stick and reverts
        back to 'unknown'.
     b) I don't have the 1680x1050 resolution option on the 'settings'
        pane (It only goes up to 1280x1024) despite the fact that
        the 'hardware' pane->Monitor lists it as LCD 1620x1050.
   (Disclaimer:  I haven't tried 915resolution again, but I didn't need it
in F8T1.)

2/ I can run the Ethernet, provided I don't run NetworkManager AND Intel
wireless doesn't work.
   (These issues may or may not be related...)

a) I want to use the 3945 wireless... I start NetworkManager/
   NetworkManagerDispatcher/KNetworkManager, but /var/log/messages says:

   Oct 12 09:29:45 fulkol kernel: iwl3945: Radio Frequency Kill Switch is
On:
   Oct 12 09:29:45 fulkol kernel: Kill switch must be turned off for
wireless networking to work.

   And nothing I've tried to-date can get the wireless going again!

b) When I run NetworkManager/NetworkManagerDispatcher/KNetworkManager then
   not only does KNetworkManager say 'No network device found', but
   the eth0 actually stops working.  I have to kill off *NetworkManager*,
   and dhclient, and 'ifup eth0' manually to get it working again.

Any comments/suggestions/status updates?

TIA
Fulko