F8t3 (Live CD) and Dell Vostro 1000 (Notebook)

Pedro Lamarão pedro.lamarao at mndfck.org
Fri Oct 12 16:59:48 UTC 2007

* boot

Media check and system boot went smoothly.

* network

nm-applet doesn't show any of the various wireless networks in my area.

The system log gives me:

NetworkManager: <info> wlan0: Device is fully-supported using driver
'b43-pci-bridge'.
NetworkManager: <info> Now managing wireless (802.11) device 'wlan0'.
NetworkManager: Bringing up device wlan0
kernel: b43-phy0 ERROR: Firmware file "b43/ucode5.fw" not found or load
failed.
kernel: b43-phy0 ERROR: you must go to
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/bcm43xx#devicefirmware and
download the correct firmware (version 4).
NetworkManager: Deactivating device wlan0.

It seems the necessary firmware is not freely redistributable. That is
unfortunate.

* destkop

The "scrolling hotspots" of the touchpad seem to work correctly.

Tapping on it to produce a mouse click event doesn't always work, which
is annoying.

Turning "desktop effects" disturbs every window in the destkop. They are
 drawn as empty gray areas -- also the panels and dialog boxes.

After a little fiddling it seems that the drawing on these windows seems
to be in a huge resolution -- I can see the top-left-most tip of the
alert icon in the right-bottom corner of the confirmation dialog.

"Display settings" tells me the video card is an "ATI Technologies Inc
RS485 [Radaeon Xpress 1100 IGP]".

Sound detection works properly.

--
 Pedro Lamarão