ThinkPad 600X Experiences with F8T3

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Mon Oct 15 15:09:41 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 14:25 -0500, chris at idlelion.net wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Adam Jackson wrote:
> > On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 11:27 -0500, chris at idlelion.net wrote:
> >> 1) How do I test the vesa driver?
> >
> > Edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf, change the word 'neomagic' to 'vesa'.
>
> OK. Wow. First noticeable change was that the welcome screen went from
> 1024x768 to 800x600 and from blue to green. In fact, the entire GUI seemed
> to shift hue by 120 degrees: blues became greens, greens became reds, and
> reds became blues.
>
> Changing the display from 24-bit to 16-bit color fixed the hues. I would
> like to use all of my screen, though, so the vesa driver is not a viable
> long-term solution.

Hmm.  It would be good to see the log from this case, although I think I
know the problem.  Either there's just no mode for 10x7 in your VBIOS,
or there is and we're throwing it away; in the latter case we should try
not to.

And the color thing is probably just something being naïve about channel
setup, which should also be in the log.

If you could file a bug about this it'd be best.

> >> 2) Is there a way to benchmark
> >> performance? (If the vesa driver seems snappy, I'll just use that
> >> instead.)
> >
> > yum -y install gtkperf, and compare runs.  The vesa driver will be
> > completely unaccelerated, and in particular you won't get Xv, but it
> > might be fast enough for you depending what you're doing.
>
> Running with the neomagic driver, 1024x768, 24-bit color gave me about 84
> seconds. Vesa, 800x600, 16-bit gave me 67 seconds. Hmm.

You'd normally expect 16-bit performance to be a bit better, since
you're moving less data around.

> I also did an update and the neomagic driver still has serious issues.
> Should I post logs? Take pictures? What would help?

I don't know much about the neomagic driver at all, so it'd be best to
file any bugs in it upstream (bugs.freedesktop.org, xorg product,
driver/neomagic component).  vesa, on the other hand, I'm painfully
familiar with, and it needs to work reliably anyway, so I'd like to
follow up on it on bugzilla.

- ajax