F8T3 yum update failures

Rick Stevens rstevens at internap.com
Thu Oct 18 20:05:36 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 21:59 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:37:40 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>
> > Sorry, I just joined the list.  While I did scan the archives, I didn't
> > see any resolution to F8T3 yum update failures...specifically the one
> > where kdegraphics and kdebase depend on libIlmImf.so.4.
> >
> > That file exists in both /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 on my system (Opteron)
> > and I've done a forced update (rpm -Fvh --force --nodeps) for those two
> > packages yet yum still won't complete the update.
> >
> > Any ideas?
>
> The "fix" you tried is completely incorrect. People around the world
> propose such "forced updates" again and again, and it seems impossible
> to stop them from doing so. :( So, takes this advice: Look at *all*
> packages in the update transaction set, not just the packages that are
> installed already. Yum complains about files that will be missing
> *after* applying the updates. An updated package takes away the needed
> library. It doesn't matter that the library, which is complained
> about, is installed already. A new package replaces the file with a
> newer library that is incompatible with other packages. In your case
> it is the newer OpenEXR-libs package which is ABI-incompatible. Wait
> for the rebuilds [of the KDE packages] to show up in your favourite
> mirror of Fedora Development (aka rawhide).

I'm aware of the dangers of a forced update, so that's not a problem.
This is also an experimental hamster machine and a full reinstall is
also no big deal should it be necessary.

However, it is strange that yum would whine that a library that is
already installed isn't available, and that kdebase and kdegraphics
have this weird dependency when it is caused by OpenEXR-libs.

But then again, yum has some peculiarities.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens at internap.com -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-     If one is what one eats, then I am fast, cheap and greasy!     -