f8t3 hpdv9000t no sound

Neal Becker ndbecker2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:40:27 UTC 2007

Jeremy Katz wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-10-22 at 19:10 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
>> Brand new hp dv9000t.  Installed f8t3.
>>
>> Touching the (soft) mute button, kde says 'mute on' & 'mute off', but I
>> don't seem to get any sound.  Tried alsaunmute.  Tried fiddling with
>> switches on kmixer.  Nothing from speakers or headphones.
>
> And you tried all the ports with all of the headphones-type switches
> toggled?  Hrmm... most of the ICH8 audio that I've seen with the current
> kernel doesn't give audio through the speakers, but works fine with
> headphones.  Chuck built a scratch kernel with current tip of alsa and
> that fixed things... unfortunately, getting to a specific fix out of
> that patchset wasn't looking pretty :-/
>
> Jeremy

Not sure what 'ports' means.  There are 2 headphone jacks on the front.  I
tried them.

What app do you suggest to try the switches?  system-config-soundcard seems
to have the most controls (although I don't know what they all mean).

I notice that clicking on the kmix icon shows a pic of headphones - I notice
this is different than on my F7 box - but no idea if that is significant
(or just a decoration).