not finding rpmbuild

Andrew Parker andrewparker at bigfoot.com
Tue Oct 23 12:45:06 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Jos Vos <jos at xos.nl> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 06:24:26PM -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:
>
> > > rpmbuild is not there.
> >
> > yum install rpm-build
> >
> > nice bit of inconsistency there
>
> What is inconsistent?  That the package is named different than one
> of the executables in it?

yes

>  rpm-build is just a subpackage of rpm
> and thus has a dash in it.  Most commands are not owned by a package
> with the same name.

oh indeed, i'm aware that there are good reasons why its different,
and i am certainly not advocating changing it.  Its just that i'm sure
that its not just Scott Berry and myself that stumbled or slapped
their foreheads because of it.

> Most commands are not owned by a package with the same name.

True, but in those cases the package name is a collective name and/or
there is a binary of the same name.  You have to admit that it is
unusual to have the RPM package name to be the same as the binary with
a hyphen added to it.  On my system, there are only two such packages
(vnc-server being the other), so its not the norm:

for P in $(rpm -qa --queryformat "%{name}\n" | grep [-]); do PD=$(echo
$P | tr -d "-"); rpm -ql $P | grep /bin/$PD\$ > /dev/null && echo $P;
done

> You can also do "yum install /usr/bin/rpmbuild", if you like.

You can, but it wasn't that long ago that rpmbuild was taken out of
"rpm -b" and my first thought when I couldn't find it was "what is it
called now?"