--qf %{license}

shrek-m at gmx.de shrek-m at gmx.de
Wed Oct 24 12:14:25 UTC 2007

Kevin Fenzi schrieb:
> What are you trying to do?

i would see under which license some core-packages are, i have no
problems with the GPLv3.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=NKJSOSTGrq4   Eben Moglen: Microsoft must
remove patents from Novell pact

GPLv3  http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html
gcc 4.2.2    http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc-announce/2007/msg00004.html
samba 3.2.x
--------
http://news.samba.org/announcements/samba_gplv3/
I am the author of a GPLv2 licensed program, can I still use the samba
libraries?
The Samba Team releases libraries under two licenses: the GPLv3 and the
LGPLv3. If your code is released under a "GPLv2 or later" license, it is
compatible with both the GPLv3 and the LGPLv3 licensed Samba code.
If your code is released under a "GPLv2 only" license, it is not
compatible with the Samba libraries released under the GPLv3 or LGPLv3
as the wording of the "GPLv2 only" license prevents mixing with other
licenses. If you wish to use libraries released under the LGPLv3 with
your "GPLv2 only" code then you will need to modify the license on your
code.

What about patent covenant agreements ? How do they affect the
distribution of Samba?
Patent covenant deals done after 28 March 2007 are explicitly
incompatible with the license if they are "discriminatory" under section
11 of the GPLv3. Samba distributors who have made such patent covenant
agreements after that date will not have the right to distribute any
version of Samba covered by the GPLv3 (Samba 3.2 or later). The rights
of vendors to ship 3.0.25b and previous versions is unchanged and
remains as it was under the GPLv2. Consult legal advice if you are in doubt.
----/----

--
shrek-m