Rawhide DVD - Requesting isoinfo run on the iso

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Thu Oct 25 22:16:15 UTC 2007

Todd Denniston wrote:
> John Summerfield wrote, On 10/25/2007 04:08 AM:
>> Todd Denniston wrote:

> Too bad you can't tell torrent "hit this local torrent 'proxy/cache' and
> if it has a copy get my data (including others to connect from/to) from
> there".
>
> Note: --tracker_proxy only connects you to an http proxy so you can make
> the initial connection, not the download||upload connections.  there
> exists no torrent_proxy.
>
> Yes it is sad to only be a leach, but if we could operate our download
> that way at all then we might be able to contribute in other ways.
I have a solution for this which is a python script with the name:
archive-teleconstructor.py
For the orginal message see:

Basically, it uses some info on the structure of an iso to insert bits
of the iso that are already available locally {eg from an earlier test
release, or a yum keepcache=1}. Depending on the sameness of the current
iso to the previous downloaded material, you might save 50 - 80% of
downloads or that 3GB iso.

The following list archive has the gory details - it is all command line
stuff, and works with a bit torrent client that can analyze and verify
it's own pre-downloaded parts. I have only used it with azureus.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-June/msg00018.html

Would someone who already has the complete download be able to run:
iso-info -q -l -i /home/old/8/rawhide-dvd-20071024-i386.iso
 >rawhide-dvd-20071024-i386.iso-info.txt ,
and then compress and attach that file to a reply to this email ?

The way to get the iso-info currently is for someone who already has the
wanted iso to run iso-info on it. {its usually on 200kB - the ~
equivalent with jigdo is 200MB }

I would like to confirm that archive-teleconstructor.py still achieves
the the bittorrent download saving. I was able to get F7 this way,
downloading around 40% of the actual size. I left that torrent running
for a month {outbound around 120GB or 40 copies of the dvd iso}. It is
azureus's check feature that guarantees the bits are complete.

Questions, comments please email me.

DaveT.