artsmessage error popup

Fulko Hew fulko.hew at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 13:59:23 UTC 2007

On 10/26/07, Rex Dieter <rdieter at math.unl.edu> wrote:

> Fulko Hew wrote:
>
> > As of (about) Monday's Rawhide update, I now get a dialog box
> > when I log in with a KDE session:
> >
> > Sound server informational message:
> > Error while initializing the sound driver:
> > device: default can't be opened for playback (Connection refused)
> > The sound server will continue, using the null output device.
>
> pulseaudio not working?
>
> Make sure you have 'kde-settings-pulseaudio' installed.

Thanks!  That was it, but...
that implies there was an uncaught dependency during the
daily rawhide upgrade process...

The pulseaudio stuff that was already installed was:

alsa-plugins-pulseaudio-1.0.14-5.fc8
akode-pulseaudio-2.0.1-9.fc8
pulseaudio-0.9.7-0.16.svn20071017.fc8
pulseaudio-libs-0.9.7-0.16.svn20071017.fc8
pulseaudio-esound-compat-0.9.7-0.16.svn20071017.fc8
pulseaudio-core-libs-0.9.7-0.16.svn20071017.fc8

So I assume at some point this 'kde-settings-pulseaudio'
was created and added, but, and I'm speculating now...
it was not a dependency of anything that was updated
since then. I.e.  Why wasn't it auto-sucked in?

I guess in the long run, only Rawhide updaters would
get caught by this problem (because they update piecemeal).
Otherwise, this package would/should have been caught
by an update of KDE if you were to do a KDE update today?