Sound on F8t3

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Wed Oct 31 08:45:41 UTC 2007

I was fully updated yesterday. Today, the mirrors seem broken;-(

I'm using KDE desktop, and sound does not work on my HP DC7000 SFF.

Except that when I choose K/Administration/Sound card detection, it
works very well.

I've been playing with Control Center (kcontrol). The first time, I
chose it from the KDE menu, and when I chose sound, it locked up and had
to be terminated with force.

Subsequently I've run it from within konsole, and it does not lock up,
but it doesn't play sound either.

I do get an artsmessage, to the effect
"Sound system informational message" (yeah right, "does not work" is
informational?)
"Error while initialising the sound driver"
"device: default cannot be opened for playback (connection refused)"
"The sound system will continue, using the null device."

Further testing:
Autodetect doesn't.
OSS works.
ALSA does not.
ESD does not.

Is this something I should mention to BZ?

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait