F8T2 (x86_64) Initialisation of dual network interfaces

richard mullens mullens at ntlworld.com
Sun Sep 16 21:44:57 UTC 2007

I have an Asus P5B Deluxe motherboard and I have been trying the live CD.

There are two on-board NICs (both Marvell Technology Group Ltd.):-

eth0 is 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit ethernet controller
eth1 is 88E8001            Gigabit ethernet controller.

When the system comes up, System->Administration->Network shows
eth1 active, but eth0 inactive
I don't know what is the intent.  I have internet connections on each
interface (cable and ADSL) - so I would like both to be usable.

I can activate eth0.

eth0 is 192.168.1.0
eth1 is 192.168.0.0

In a way that I haven't elucidated, activating an interface may alter
the default gateway -
I use ping -R to determine which route is taken.

Do I need two different hostnames/domainnames if I have two internet
connections ?