Wrong LVM VG Acticated

Doncho N. Gunchev gunchev at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 12:21:29 UTC 2007

I installed FC8 to and external USB disk for tests. This disk
has /boot, small fat16, big ext3 storage and a LVM VG with one
LV for my / dir. In order to boot after the install (live KDE
CD) I made new initrd:

mkinitrd --preload=ehci-hcd --preload=usb-storage \
--preload=scsi_mod --preload=sd_mod \
/boot/initrd-2.6.23-0.164.rc5.fc8.img 2.6.23-0.164.rc5.fc8

With the update for kernel-2.6.23-0.204.rc8.fc8 all went well,
I did not have to make new initrd. After that I removed my
swap from that drive and extended my f8 root dir and added
my old swap (fc7) to /etc/fstab.

The new swap is on another LVM VG and when I updated to
kernel-2.6.23-0.211.rc8.git2.fc8 and mkinitrd-6.0.19-1.fc8
from rawhide it did not boot. I did mkinitrd but that did
not help - can't find /dev/root. Turns out mkinitrd
activates only the VG which contains my swap, but
not the one that contains my root directory. Here's
small diff from initrd's init files:

 echo Activating logical volumes
-lvm vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure  VGusb
-resume /dev/VGusb/LVuswap
+lvm vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure  VG700l
+resume /dev/VG700l/e5swap
 echo Creating root device.

It seems logical that both VGs should be activated in
my case - the first one for the root FS and the second
one for the swap (in case I suspended to disk).

Anyone else, should I bugzilla this?

--
Regards,
  Doncho N. Gunchev, GPG key ID: 0EF40B9E, Key server: pgp.mit.edu