inittab -- Where'd all my consoles go?

Michal Jaegermann michal at harddata.com
Wed Apr 2 22:30:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 05:12:36PM -0400, Janina Sajka wrote:

> However, I've had mixed results
> with the gui. Because I was trying to move the gui to tty11, I first did
> telinit 3. I did indeed get a text console on tty7, but a followup
> telinit 5 didn't bring the gui back.

A level switching in upstart looks at this moment somewhat "iffy".
If you are using gdm then you can run instead 'gdm-restart' or
just start gdm yourself if it is not running.

The other option is to edit /etc/event.d/prefdm and add
'respawn' just above 'script' line.  With that 'pkill -f gdm'
will give you a new gdm process, not just SIGHUP sent to the old
one, and 'telinit 3; telinit 5' will likely work again.

BTW - gdm in rawhide is a different version then the one used
in Fedora 8, it lost quite a bit of functionality [1], and an old
config does not apply.  Various things are far from clear but
_some_ documentation showed up recently here:
http://live.gnome.org/GDM/2.22/Configuration

gdm binaries from Fedora 8 still work so no need for a recompilation
if you would need that one instead.

   Michal

[1]  This is a quote from the reference:
"Basically, we only support a small subset of the options that were
available in previous versions of GDM. Some of these options have
been moved into the configuration for the front-end and some have
become obsolete due to redesign".