moving a fedora 7 to rawhide

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 5 01:10:42 UTC 2008

--- Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> wrote:

> John Summerfield wrote:
> > Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >> only since the machine only boots two kernels I
> have
> >> to resort to booting it.  A few conflicts here
> and
> >> there, Is there a cleanup script that checks for
> fc7
> >> rpms and deletes them and finds corresponding fc9
> >> rpms?
> >
> > I wouldn't expect one; if Anaconda and yum don't
> do it, you're pretty
> > much Pat Malone.
> > This will give some clues as to what's obsolete:
> >
> > rpm -qa --last | less
>
> Any package containing .fc7 should be obselete.  The
> Beta release notes [1] also
> contain clues.
>
> You should: rpm -e --nodeps sysvinit; yum install
> upstart
>
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/libusermodule.so
> from
> install of libuser-python-0.56.8-1.i386 conflicts
> with
> file from package libuser-0.56.2-1.i386
> ^^ is a problem with mismatched versions, use
> --exclude=libuser-python
>
> [1] http://fedoraproject.org/en/f9-beta-relnotes
>
> --
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com>
> www.lordmorgul.net
>   gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC
> 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29
>   revoked key 0xC99B1DF3 no longer used
> No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the
> big picture. - Daniel Geer
> ----
>                       ----
>
> --

Andrew,

as I have mentioned in the other mail,

what was done is here:
http://www.geocities.com/olivares14031/fc72rawhide.htm

 I got by these errors.  Several observations

1) Firefox does not work

[root at localhost ~]# firefox &
[1] 3088
[root at localhost ~]# The program 'firefox' received an
X Window System error.
The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not
exist)'.
  (Details: serial 867 error_code 15 request_code 45
minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are
reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after
causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync
command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a
meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the
gdk_x_error() function.)

[1]+  Exit 1                  firefox

2)  cannot get to DE as regular user

[root at localhost ~]# cat
/home/olivares/cannotstartx.txt
Script started on Fri 04 Apr 2008 08:01:38 PM CDT
[olivares at localhost ~]$ startx
xauth:  creating new authority file
/home/olivares/.serverauth.2405

Fatal server error:
Cannot open log file "/var/log/Xorg.0.log"

xinit:  Server error.
Couldnt get a file descriptor referring to the console
[olivares at localhost ~]$ su -
bash: su: command not found
[olivares at localhost ~]$ exit
exit

Script done on Fri 04 Apr 2008 08:02:16 PM CDT
[root at localhost ~]#

3)  If I start in level 5, default and try to login, I
gdm cycles back and forth.

4)  gkrellm crashes with following

[root at localhost ~]# gkrellm &
[1] 3171
[root at localhost ~]# The program 'gkrellm' received an
X Window System error.
The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not
exist)'.
  (Details: serial 7003 error_code 15 request_code 45
minor_code 0)
  (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are
reported asynchronously;
   that is, you will receive the error a while after
causing it.
   To debug your program, run it with the --sync
command line
   option to change this behavior. You can then get a
meaningful
   backtrace from your debugger if you break on the
gdk_x_error() function.)

[1]+  Exit 1                  gkrellm
[root at localhost ~]#

Looking at it from the bright side, I can login as
root and type this message.

Regards,

Antonio