live CD grub theme vs installed grub theme

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 10:04:55 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-05 at 00:53 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Is there meant to be a difference between grub themes from the Live CD snapshots
> to what a user gets when its installed to disk?  I see the 'fedora water rings'
> theme on the Live CD but on my installations I've got a blue theme with a small
> gold emblem in the lower right.
>
> Is the fedora water ring theme supposed to be the final theme?  It looks much
> better than this other one.

Hi,

I forwarded your message to the art-list [1]. The reason why it is
different is that Live CD uses Syslinux, but installed system uses GRUB,
and while GRUB needs indexed graphics (with limited colours), syslinux
supports more colours. I don't remember why we designed different theme
for grub and for syslinux though, since the syslinux theme looks good
even with indexing.

I've suggested that we use the syslinux image for grub as well in the
art-list (inspired by your opinion).

For final artwork please refer to:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Artwork/F9Themes/Waves/Round3Final

Martin