menu usefulness destroyed, how to make useful again

Jim Cornette fct-cornette at insight.rr.com
Sun Apr 6 18:40:31 UTC 2008

Matthias Clasen wrote:

> The fact that it only affects some of your machines should already be a
> strong enough hint that this is not intentional. Unfortunately, your
> description of the problem has so far not been clear enough to allow
> tracking this down.

What I did when the problem first happened was to unblank the
screensaver and then removed the login applet from the screen. When I
tried to delete the applet there was a popup stating that some of the
features were locked down.
After switching to KDE and changing back to gnome before I shut down the
computer, I replied about the problem on the other computer.

To my surprise today, all of the applets that I added were back and the
add to launcher and desktop are both black when they were grayed out
before when I tried to add back the missing launchers and applets.

Removing the additional GUI login applet worked fine this time when I
removed the applet.

The popup window looked similar to the popup windows used for pkgkit.

I'm glad that the menu problem is gone. Also that it was not a planned
design change. The applets and launchers are two items which set off KDE
as a major preference for me.

I checked the /var/log/messages and SELinux entries but saw nothing that
looked like it was related to giving me a locked down and menu.
The panels looked like wht is initially the default settings before any
customizations.

When this happened I was pulling in updates which included kernel
2.6.25-0.195.rc8.git1.fc9.x86_64. I'm not whether the mirrors were
lagging or up to date.

Still, is there a way to lock down these panels from being editable? Of
course I would not lock down the panel, but if it ever became locked
down, I'd like to know how to unset the condition.

Thanks for the reply. sorry for the alarm.

Jim