Orphan nodes in an ext4 file system

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 02:18:18 UTC 2008

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:
>  I am seeing these randomly after what appears to be a clean shutdown,
> i.e., menu shutdown or restart.  Not seeing them at all on test
> sequences where restart comes very soon after startup.  They seem to
> appear only after a session where I use a lot of different programs for
>  couple of hours.  I frequently use thunderbird, firefox and some kde
> programs like konqueror, kwrite and k3b.  I also use the cli to use
> system utilities from a gnome terminal like the various system-config-
> programs and basic system status checks.  I have looked in the messages
> log but don't see anything that points to a bad shutdown.

I see them also, usually after I notice a service failed to shutdown though...
to be honest I haven't paid the orphan inodes much attention yet.  I'll try to
watch what is happening on those more closely.  They definitely do show up (en
masse) when my virtual machine hangs and I hard reset it.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29
  revoked key 0xC99B1DF3 no longer used