Intermittant Gnome action

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Apr 7 22:00:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Apr 07, 2008 at 02:39:31PM -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
> Leslie Satenstein wrote:
> >Further to the above. Running from the menu is fine, only the desktop is
> >vacant.
> >Selinux was turned off (leaving off during beta evaluation).
>
> I saw this today on my own system which has selinux enforcing, but the problem
> wasn't related to that.  It looked like dbus was running but the nautilus
> process was hung, using kill -SIGHUP got it up and started, so I'm not sure
> what the problem is there.  I don't find any output thats useful so far.

This may be similar to yet another weird one on my Acer.  I hadn't
noticed it because I either use fluxbox or openbox and opera.

However, I found out yesterday that if I run any gtk app that I can
think of (nautilus, firefox, gedit) and I have a network connection it
freezes.  That is, I can boot up with both wired and wireless set to not
start.  I can boot into gnome, open firefox, and the like.  However, as
soon as I make a network connection, whether wired or wireless, no gtk
application will run.  KDE is fine, opera is fine, openbox, fluxbox and
all xterms (save urxvt as per an earlier thread) run without problems.

I haven't yet seen anything useful in /var/log/messages, but I just
discovered this late last night and only did a cursory search.
(tail /var/log/messages).

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Cordelia: You're really campaigning for bitch of the year, aren't
you?
Buffy: As defending champion, you nervous?
Cordelia: I can hold my own.