rawhide/9beta+ way to set my timezone

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Apr 9 08:50:51 UTC 2008

David Timms wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Matthew Saltzman wrote:
>>> One more question:  Do you (or does anyone on the list) know if running
>>> the raw XP installation in VMware handles the time correctly with these
>>> settings?
>>
>> It should.  If your host is using UTC for the hwclock, which vmware
>> should be duplicating as its hwclock.  Go into the vmware bios
>> settings and you should see the displayed time, if it matches what you
>> expect it to be you're all set.  It works fine for me on vmware fusion
>> 1.1.
>
> I have been running F6,7,8 now F9beta {f8 kernel} with a vmware-server
> winXP guest, as well as occasionally booting the real windows installation.
>
> Machine time was always set to local time zone, never UTC. This used to
> justWork {tm}. I would like the non-tech {ie basic user} way to get it
> right - is there such a thing ?

1. set host (linux) to use UTC system clock, sync the time, shutdown
2. boot windows (natively), create dword reg entry RealTimeIsUniversal, setup
ntp time sync and manually 'update now', shutdown
3. boot host, check time is correct, boot guest in vm, check time is correct

That should work theoretically, and it does for my systems.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\TimeZoneInformation]
"RealTimeIsUniversal"=dword:00000001

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29