desktop update failure (F9beta)

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Thu Apr 10 06:34:15 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 16:33 +0000, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?
> J=F3hann_B._Gu=F0mundsson _ wrote:
> > Yes I know hence I was suggesting putting /var on a separate partition
> > which would contain enough space for updates and such..
> >
> > /
> > /var ( size enough for future upgrades so when a user fills his /home
> > (/) with all his *media*  it does not affect /var )
> > /boot
> >
> > Just an idea..
>
> If you read through the archives, this idea gets brought up every now
> and again, and eventually peters out when you try and figure out what
> the best split partition style is for a default, for everybody.  It
> really does come back to doing /no/ split partitions (except for boot
> due to grub shortcomings) as a default.

Define "best" - Your "best" only is "optimal" in the sense of
"least likelihood to fail during initial installs".

It is not "best" with regard to other aspects, e.g.
- it kills /home during careless upgrades (reformat ... Yes -> boom)
- it is unsafe to use, because allows arbitrary ordinary users to fill
  "/" e.g. through filling /tmp, /var or /home.
..

I take the fact, this issue "gets brought up every now and again", as a
strong indication of your claim ("this default is best") not to be true.
I read this as: "In longer terms users are facing issues".

Ralf