network/firewall under single user

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 21:28:05 UTC 2008

Joe Smith wrote:
> Andrew Farris wrote:
>> No, it should not start the firewall, service iptables start should
>> start the firewall.
>
> Sure, and it does, but is it a good design to make it easy to start the
> network up without the firewall?
>
> My memory is probably faulty, but I'm pretty sure I remember starting
> the network in an older release and thinking, "Hey it started the
> firewall too--that's a nice touch."
>
> I suppose it doesn't much matter: as long as there's nothing running to
> accept a network connection, nothing should be able to get in over the
> net. Just the same, having the firewall in place would be that much better.

I never recall seeing that happen automatically, perhaps you changed runlevels
and saw both turn on due to config for the runlevel.  In either case, I
definitely would disagree if the suggestion was made to make that intended
behavior: network start causes firewall start.  I think its much better to leave
them isolated as is, and use runlevel configurations for what turns on.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29