What's up with ssh key access?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 22:17:15 UTC 2008

Joe Smith wrote:
> I had some ssh keys set up in my F8 home directory (i.e. ~/.ssh/*).
>
> When I installed F9 on a new box, I just restored all my files by
> copying from my old drive using "find | cpio".
>
> Now, when I try to use rsync over an ssh connection (from a terminal), I
> get a GUI dialog titled "Unlock private key" asking for a "password to
> unlock the private key".
>
> Entering my user password and clicking "OK" seems to have no effect;
> entering nothing and clicking "Deny" twice will eventually allow the
> rsync to complete.

I haven't seen this at all, although I have the ssh keys imported into seahorse
already so that may be why I don't see the dialog.

Also I'm using ~/.ssh/config so choose which id is used per host, and ssh-add to
import the indentities, so I don't see any UI dialog asking for passphrases at all.

Do you have the permissions all correct in ~/.ssh?  Check that they are only
read and editable by your user?

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29