Schrodinger's System Monitor

Michael Wiktowy michael.wiktowy at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 02:18:43 UTC 2008

Hello,

Just trying out the Fedora 9 Preview LiveCD and it looks nice but
there are a few edges yet.

One of them is the system monitor performance. Firstly, it looks like
the default refresh rate of 1 second is not being followed. It is
actually something along the lines of 1/5th of that. Which makes for
cool smooth looking charts of your CPU history but leads to a second
problem. If you scale up the monitor's window size, you get a huge
scaling up of the CPU load. On the default setting of 1/5 sec (1 sec
in preferences) refresh, maximizing the Resource window pegs my AMD
Athlon 2700 at 100%. If I set the refresh to ~1 sec (5 seconds in
preferences), it drops down to 40% or so. Still not that great. If I
switch to a different tab and then switch back after a while, the
period when the chart was not showing has a low (<10%) CPU
utilization. So it looks like drawing the chart that measures the CPU
is taking a heck of a lot of CPU time.

I wouldn't have thought drawing three lines would have such an impact
and if it does, it makes it not very useful as a
measurement/monitoring tool.

Does anyone else see this?

/Mike