Fedora 9 Preview Release Experience

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Fri Apr 18 21:13:57 UTC 2008

Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:

> 4) CIFS filesystems take a long time to umount on shutdown/restart since
> networkmanager has closed the network.  This may not seem like a big
> deal, but unless the user knows to ctr-alt-f7 to see shutdown msgs, the
> user will wonder why shutdown is taking so long and may start hard/soft
> reboot attempts.

Unless service foo needs to save state, I don't see a lot of point in
stopping it.

Interpret "service foo" liberally, I've been wondering why several
things are done during shutdown (and switching runlevels) including
shutting down network interfaces.

It may be a topic for a group discussion, I don't see the point of
umounting filesystems unless and except where it's necessary so as to
ensure the cache is flushed.

There may be some point to _saving_ firewall rules, but I see no point
in explicitly _removing_ the rules.

--

Cheers
John