How to download a file without installing?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Sat Apr 19 10:28:34 UTC 2008

On Saturday 19 April 2008 12:15:28 am Mike Chambers wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 18:16 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Friday 18 April 2008 17:34:05 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Unfortunately none of these methods were successful.  Adding '3' didn't
> > > boot to level 3!  The method involving ftp to a mirror is out - I don't
> > > have a connection.  Using Ctrl-Alt-F1 gives me a terminal and I tried
> > > the yum command from there.  It said it couldn't retrieve the
> > > mirrorlist, and couldn't retrieve repository metadata.  Attempting to
> > > install from a graphical file manager says that local installs are not
> > > supported.  End of road, I'm afraid.
> > >
> > > BTW Ctrl-Alt-F7 doesn't do anything.
> >
> > It occurs to me that the one thing I haven't tried is an rpm install.
> > I'll try that tomorrow.
>
> Using rpm, as well as trying yum update/install foo
> --disablerepo=some.repo and you can add more repos if need be.

I've tried till I'm blue in the face.  Listing /etc/yum.repos.d gives me
fedora-rawhide.repo, fedora.repo, fedora-updates.repo and
fedora-updates-testing.repo, yet attempting to disable any of them tells me
that there is no such file or directory.  Giving the full path doesn't help
either.

Attempting to install without the disablerepo statements brought me a stack of
conflict reports.  I uninstalled system-config-network and tried again.
system-config-network requires system-config-network-tui.
system-config-network-tui says that it has lots of conflicts from files left
behind when I uninstalled.  Desperate measures, then.  Remove everything
below /usr/share/system-config-network/.

I'm still getting 'file /usr/share/system-config-network/version.pyo from
install of system-config-network-tui-1.5.6-1.fc9.noarch conflicts with file
from package system-config-network-tui-1.5.0-1.fc9.noarch' and lots of
similar ones.  Listing /usr/share/system-config-network/ says

total 8
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root 4096 2008-04-19 11:16 .
drwxr-xr-x 146 root root 4096 2008-03-19 18:32 ..

Where do I go from here?

Anne