Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network Adapter

KH KH kwizart at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 18:07:55 UTC 2008

2008/4/21, ravisagar at gmail.com <ravisagar at gmail.com>:
> I have Compaq Presario C772TU Laptop. I has Atheros AR5006X Wireless Network
> Adapter. Yesterday I installed Fedora 8 but I was not able to enable WiFi.
>
> 1. I tried configuring WiFi using KNetworkManager, but no luck.
>  2. I installed Windows driver (.inf and .sys) file in fedora using
> NDISwrapper. When I tried to scan wlan0 I got the error that "Network
> doesn't support Scanning: Network is Down". I then tried ifconfig wlan0 up
> but I got following error SIOCSIFFLAGS..........
>
> How can I enable WiFi on Fedora 8. Is this problem solved in Fedora 9.

Fedora has the ath5k builtin kernel (you may need a newer kernel)
if your chipset isn't supported by ath5k yet, you can give a try on
the madwifi project.
Third part fedora repositories are packaging prebuild kmod for madwifi
so you won't have to compile it yourself for Fedora 8

Now you shoudn't need to use ndiswrapper with any atheros chipsets
(unless newer models using ar5007 on 64bit and some older atheros
usb).

Nicolas (kwizart)