X settings not saved under KDE 4

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 03:08:46 UTC 2008

I have a widescreen (1440x900) Samsung LCD, which works fine under F8,
with both Gnome and KDE. The video card is an onboard Intel 965 (Intel
mobo). Anaconda set me up with the Intel video driver and a 1024x768
display (stretched of course).

* With KDE under F9-Preview (+ updates as of today) I can't use the
Display Settings widget as the screen goes black and leaves me with
nothing but a cursor.

* From runlevel 3 I tried system-config-display and set things up as I
want them. X proceeds to ignore the settings.

* Under Gnome I can run the display widget and set the screen correctly,
but as as soon as I log out it reverts to its previous state.

* When I log out of the desktop (either one) I get a brief flash of an
error box saying something about "AVC violation" but it goes away
immediately.

Ideas welcome ...

poc