F9: fsck gotcha on booting

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 03:47:36 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 20:32 -0700, Andrew Farris wrote:
>> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>> My fstab contains the line:
>>>
>>> LABEL=/xtra             /xtra                   ext3    defaults        1 2
>>>
>>> which worked fine on F8. Now with F9-Preview the boot process halts with
>>> the following error (I'm working form memory here):
>>>
>>> 	Fsck: cannot resolve "LABEL=/xtra"
>>>
>>> and drops me to a Shell to fix the problem. Two things:
>>>
>>> 1) From the Shell I can happily "mount /xtra" with no problems, so what
>>> gives?
>>>
>>> 2) I can't edit /etc/fstab from this Shell. "mount" claims that the
>>> system disk is mounted rw. but when I try to edit fstab "vi" tells me
>>> it's read-only, and in fact "> foo" from the Shell gives the same error.
>>> So I feel I have to ask why is the emergency Shell set up to not let me
>>> edit anything?
>> Did you try editing then using w! to save it?  That may have worked.
>
> Of course. It didn't. w! is fine if it's just a write-protected file.
> This was a read-only filesystem.

Ok just wanted to check, so apparently it didn't remount the filesystem rw, was
there a message about filesystem badness before it started to fsck or what?

You probably better turn off the 'quiet' boot flag so you can see what is going
on there in the kernel messages.

  gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29