X settings not saved under KDE 4

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:07:59 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 16:38 +0200, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
> On  Tue, 22 Apr 2008 09:53:00 -0430 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Turns out there is no /etc/X11/xorg.conf and X just uses an
> > internal default.
> > So I removed xorg.conf in my Preview setup to see what would happen.
> It
> > still failed in the same way.
> When no xorg.conf is used, it should also write the text of
> this "internal" used inside Xorg.0.log file itself.
> If you copy and paste this to a new xorg.conf, does it change
> anything?

Thanks for the idea, but I just discovered the real cause of my problem.
I'm a longtime KDE user, so in my new F9 I just logged into my account
as always, and of course it has all the setup for KDE 3.5. Removing a
few lines from .kde/share/config/startupconfig (the ones to do with
randr) basically fixed the aspect ratio problem.

I still have the Settings->Display problem but that may also be related
to KDE 3.5. I set up a fresh test account and it doesn't have this
issue.

I'll keep poking ...

poc