Can yum download to a pen-drive?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:58:41 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 14:26, Todd Denniston wrote:

> Assuming the LiveCD has a fully populated rpm database on it... have you
> considered figuring out what driver (and utils) are needed to get it
> working and then using rpm, on the LiveCD, to see what JUST the NEEDED
> pcmcia driver and utils depend on, and use that information to pull JUST
> those rpm's from the net (using a working network computer), and finally to
> (on the computer with the broken pcmcia) use `rpm -ivh *` on those rpms
> which you put on the pen-drive?

I've already updated the system-config-network files by that method, and that
had, it was hoped, the fix.

The LiveCD definitely has what I need, if only I could identify it.  I can
actually connect to the network when running Live, but not from the install.
I don't know what to look for, to find the difference.

> That should at least get it so that you can access the network with the
> laptop, then you can yum away to do the rest.
>
> alternatively fedora/linux/releases/test/9-Preview/Fedora/i386/jigdo/ on
> your favorite mirror likely has jigdo's for making cd sets, assuming the
> 9-Preview release has the version of the driver you need.
>
> Out of curiosity... how did you get the laptop installed on this far in the
> first place, i.e., what install media?
>
>From the KDE LiveCD.

I've downloaded the Preview DVD, and intend getting it onto a pen-drive.  Can
you remind me where I can see the instructions for creating a local repo?
Thanks

Anne