KDE nightmare

Mike C mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 13:24:57 UTC 2008

Mary Ellen Foster <foster <at> in.tum.de> writes:

> NB: doesn't seem to work with the taskbar, and it's difficult to find
> the right place to click on the systray.

I guess that the Fedora KDE team has to work within the code provided by
the KDE developers and KDE4 is very much in development right now.

I too find that the current state of KDE4 is far from ideal, and functionality
currently is way behind what I have been used to KDE3.5 in F8. However I think
it has been stated a number of times that a really good level of KDE4
user provision is not really anticipated until version 4.1 which is not due
until around July IIRC.

I guess the best approach for people testing KDE4 would be to file bugs
at
http://bugs.kde.org/
and hope that things get fixed upstream which will make the lives of the
Fedora KDE developers a whole lot easier.

Having said that things have improved quite a bit with recent rawhide
rpms for KDE though there is clearly still a lot to get working properly.
This does worry me somewhat in that when F9 is released then users new
to KDE might not be particularly impressed with it, even though
potentially KDE4 could be made to work beautifully once development gets
through version 4.1 and into 4.2 ...  other may feel differently of course!