GDM Greeter

Adam Pribyl pribyl at lowlevel.cz
Mon Apr 28 19:32:50 UTC 2008

I was also complaining about GDM greeter in thread  about gmdsetup.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:

> What does everybody think of the new greeter?
>
> Personally, I have issues with it:
>
> 1) suspend option remains, even after disabling suspend globally via
> gconf-editor (bug already reported, and apparently patch has already been
> committed upstream)

E.g. I have there Suspend, but I do not have thre Hibernate (it is however
available in logout menu).

> 2) I can't seem to configure my "face" image. Putting a ".face" graphic in my
> home directory doesn't work, nor does configuring image with
> System->Preferences->Personal->About Me.

This was explained - .faces works, but AboutMe does not set the correct
home permitions, which gdm apparently now needs. It's not possible to set
faces for different users on the system thru any GUI.

> 3) Why is there an animation between clicking my name and typing my
> password?!?! Even Windows XP welcome screen is better than this! I want to
> log in NOW, not when the animation is complete.

I tought my computer is just slow.. now I see it is slow by design.. .
Well, gdm is the thing most users see as the first impression. It should
do better then.

> 4) Where the hell are the login screen settings? This is a serious oversight.
> I had thought the greeter configuration was supposed to be EASIER than
> previous releases (I can't remember where I read that, but for some reason I
> was expecting it).

Yep. I e.g. miss how to configure users shown in this menu. I have more
users on the system, but only few of them really acces the console. Why
should gdm greeter show all of my "test, test1, whatahell" users I use for
various nasty purpose, or those that only ever saw this machine remotely
via ssh.

> 5) It's ugly.

It's the matter of feeling, however it seems not to be designed to fit
fedora theme..

> Anybody else have thoughts on the Fedora 9 pre-release greeter?
>
> Rainman

Adam Pribyl