Add/Remove Software

James J Catchpole james_j_catchpole at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 28 23:36:48 UTC 2008

James J Catchpole wrote:

> [...]
[snip]

As far as I'm concerned, yumex does everything I need.
Why all the complicated (and broken) package managers that are nothing
more than difficult to use yum wrappers?

The new packagekit stuff looks interesting, but it's obviously broken,
difficult to configure, and even more difficult to turn off.

Rainman

Actually I think your perspective is probably from the
point of view of a sophisticated user. I think that as
Linux is used more and more by casual users, I am in
the process of migrating all my children and grand children's
PC's to Linux, they need an easy to use powerful
package manager. So from my perspective whoever is
working on this Package Manager has not thought through
where they want to be down the road and developed a
path to get there; what I see is quite poorly done.

Jim