NetworkManager Applet

Christopher L Tubbs II ctubbsii at emich.edu
Tue Apr 29 04:51:42 UTC 2008

NetworkManager has had a LOT of great improvements lately. In
particular: VPN support, a connection editor, and more intelligent
WPA/WPA2 Enterprise configuration. I even noticed that it no longer asks
me to enter that damned keychain password over and over again
out-of-the-box in F9 pre-release!

However, one feature I was really looking forward to, that does not seem
to be in the F9 pre-release is an option in the applet to manually
rescan for wireless networks. Sometimes (for whatever reason), my router
is not seen during the first scan, and I have to restart the service to
rescan for it. Would be nice to have a manual rescan in the menu of the
applet.

One other thing I noticed was that occasionally (rarely), nm-applet asks
me for my WPA2 password right after login, even though it is saved.
Rather than typing in my password, I hit cancel, and select my network
from the dropdown list, which it connects to perfectly fine (without
password request). The only thing I can assume is happening is that in
these circumstances, NetworkManager is trying to connect to the network
too soon after login, and wherever the password is stored is not yet
unlocked.

Rainman