F9beta update takes forever

John Summerfield debian at herakles.homelinux.org
Tue Apr 29 13:31:20 UTC 2008

seth vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 19:32 +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
>
>> Yes. I like it so well that I added skip_broken=1 to yum.conf.
>>
>> Might I mention that skip_broken isn't mentioned in yum.conf(5)?
>>
>> Thanks Seth.
>>
>> It's just taken 6m51.780s to download and install 14 packages amounting
>> to 32 Mbytes.
>>

> If you can run this command again run it like this:
>
> echo 'y' | yum -d 3 whatever | grep 'time:'

That's a shame. I have the equivalent to '-d 3' in yum.conf since you
mentioned it last time, and the output wasn't that great. It's gone
though, I can't find it in any of my "xterms."

> and post the output, please
>
> I'd like to see how long each piece is taking.
>
> and pleas be sure to post that w/o the packages in the cache.
There are no updates pending at present, but I guess that when there
are, I should precede the update with "yum clean <something>."  Is there
anything better than "all" from your POV?

I did note that rpm took a long time to install a kernel the other day;
I've favoured using yumdownloader to get the latest kernel, then rpm to
install it.

When I wondered what it was up to, it was running mkinitrd, but there's
nothing to say that it hadn't just got there.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait