What runs "Setting up disk encryption?"

Clyde E. Kunkel clydekunkel7734 at cox.net
Tue Apr 29 19:17:44 UTC 2008

How do I get all LVs to activate before activation of disk encryption?

I am mounting an encrypted filesystem in fstab that resides on a VG
different from my un-encrypted root filesystem.

The root LV is initialized in the initrd, but the remaining are not
initialized until after udev starts.  This apparently leads to an
initial failure, based on the msgs I am seeing, for "Starting disk
encryption" preceeds "Setting up Logical Volume Management".  After LVM
is setup, "Starting Disk Encryption" is run again and I can enter the
pass phrase and all is well.

Tho the problem is currently self healing, it seems that something is
out of sync.