UUIDs in fstab

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Apr 30 04:58:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 12:35:41AM -0400, Christopher L Tubbs II wrote:

> Has anybody noticed that F9-pre installer creates an /etc/fstab file based on
> UUIDs instead of LABELs? I seem to remember everybody all worked up about
> LABELs instead of the traditional /dev/sda2 type identifiers, in order to
> simplify changes to hard drive configuration. But now, all of a sudden I've got
> this 32-character long UUID that makes everything complicated again.

This was discussed awhile back on the list.  Take a quick look through
the archives--probably last month.

There are reasons for it.  Whether they're really good reasons or not is
beyond my knowledge, so I made no comments.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Maggie Walsh: We use the latest in scientific technology
and state-of-the-art weaponry, and you, if I understand correctly,
poke them with a sharp stick.