UUIDs in fstab

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Wed Apr 30 10:47:25 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 04:07:16PM +0800, John Summerfield wrote:
> Scott Robbins wrote:

> >There are reasons for it.  Whether they're really good reasons or not is
> >beyond my knowledge, so I made no comments.
>

> I don't much liked UUIDs either (I had problems duplicating disks when RH
> introduced labels) and UUIDs don't solve the problems I had. And they may
> introduce new problems: try cloning a disk thus:

Usually what I do is just use fdisk in advance, then redo fstab after
installation, going back to using /dev/sda etc.

One reason I began doing this is because at one point, I was playing
with Ubuntu.  It was already using UUID, and to make it worse, insisted
upon formatting swap during installation.  So, next time I booted into
Fedora, swap wasn't seen.   I would then have do swapoff -a; mkswap -L
and whatever was there, SWAP=/dev/sdc or whatever I had in fstab, swapon
-a.  (The sequence might be wrong, this was awhile ago. )  After
rebooting Ubuntu, *it* no longer had swap.

On the other hand, sharing multiple distros in the old days, when
everyone used the simple naming system, never gave me a problem.  It's
one of those choices that more user friendly systems are gradually
taking away.  My own preference has always been for the very simple
cfdisk, which unfortunately, isn't included with Fedora.  fdisk is also
good, but cfdisk has the added advantage of being able to toggle size
units, and for me at least, it's far simpler to figure out gigs or megs
than it is to figure out block sizes.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Anya: I have witnessed a millennium of treachery and oppression
from the males of the species, and I have nothing but contempt
for the whole libidinous lot of them.
Xander: Then why are you talking to me?
Anya: I don't have a date for the prom.
Xander: Well, gosh, I wonder why not? It couldn't possibly have
anything to do with your sales pitch.
Anya: Men are evil. Will you go with me?