hard disk install broken?

Will Woods wwoods at redhat.com
Tue Aug 12 15:36:14 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 17:53 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> I just attempted my standard CD/DVD free install technique
> with the x86_64 fedora 10 alpha DVD iso image, and I can't
> seem to get it to work.
>
> I mount the iso image and copy isolinux/vmlinux and initrd.img
> to my main /boot partition and make a grub entry to boot them.

Hooray - this is (basically) how I test this stuff too.

> I then boot that entry to get the installer going, and my first
> problem is an interminable wait as it says it is looking for
> installation media on /dev/sr0. It finally gives up, and let's
> me pick local hard disk install as an installation technique.

That's a known bug:
Bug 456327 - Anaconda loader can't figure out optical drive status

> That then asks for the partition and directory, I pick the
> partition from the list and type the directory name in the
> text field, but after going through all this 4 or 5 times
> and verifying the directory names, it never works.
>
> It always tells me it can't find any iso images in the location
> I specified.

I tested this for F10Alpha. It works, but it's a tiny bit tricky.

First - what's in that directory? You need to have *either*:
  1) All the CD images, or
  2) Just the DVD image.
If you have *both*, it'll fail.

For example, I keep those things on an external hard drive, like so:

/F10a/iso/ <--the F10Alpha iso dir from my local fedora mirror
/F10a/cd/  <--contains symlinks to the CD images in ../iso
/F10a/dvd/ <--contains a symlink to the DVD image in ../iso

Given that, you should be able to install from /F10a/cd
or /F10a/dvd. /F10a/iso *won't work*.

One further note - don't try to edit the InstallMedia repo once you get
into anaconda stage2. It won't work right.

Hope that helps!

-w